Lucy HIGGINSON Mini tree diagram

Major Lewis BURWELL

Lewis BURWELL1,2

before 5th Mar 16211,2 - 18th Nov 16532

Life History

before 5th Mar 1621

Born in Ampthill, Bedfordshire, England.1,2


Married Lucy HIGGINSON in Virginia.2,1

18th Nov 1653

Died in Carter's Creek, Gloucester, Virginia.2

after 18th Nov 1653

Buried in Abington Church, Gloucester County, Virginia.2


  • The Burwell Family data reports:

    "Maj. Lewis Burwell, bap. 5 Mar 1621/22 at Ampthill, Bedford, England; m. Lucy Higginson daughter of Capt. Robert Higginson and Joanna Tokesey, 1648; 1st husband; d. 18 Nov 1653 at age 31; bur. at Abington Church, Gloucester Co., VA.  He resided at 'Carter's Creek', Gloucester Co., VA.  He resided at 'Fairfield', Gloucester Co., VA."

    Note the reported year of marriage here is 1648.  The Marriage registry (transcription) reports 1645:

    U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900
    Lucy Higginson, Gender: female,
    Birth VA 1643 [this can't be if she married in 1645!]
    Spouse Name: Lewis Burwell
    Spouse Birth England 1621
    Marriage Year: 1645

    "Lewis Burwell II, grandfather of the builder of Carter’s Grove, built Fairfield circa 1694. Lewis’ father, of the same name, patented the 2,350 acres on the south side of Carter Creek in 1648. Lewis Burwell II was a member of the Governor’s Council, and he gained financially from his marriage to Abigail Smith of York County, heiress of Council president Nathaniel Bacon (the elder).  Upon Lewis’ death in 1710, Fairfield passed to his son Nathaniel, who married Elizabeth, daughter of Robert “King” Carter; and upon Nathaniel’s death, the plantation passed to his son Lewis.  This third Lewis (1710-1752) was president of the Council and acting governor of Virginia.  His son, also named Lewis, sold the Fairfield tract to Col. Robert Thruston in 1787.  Thruston, his wife Frances Simmons Jones, and descendants are buried in unmarked graves at Fairfield.  A plat was drawn of the farm in 1847 when William A. Leavitt began to acquire Fairfield Plantation.  When the house burned in 1897, it was owned by the Elizabeth G. Booth estate.  The property returned to the Burwell family in 1930 when it was purchased by Gerard Lambert."
    --  Virginia Department of Historic Resources,


Page created using GEDmill 1.11.0